Saturday, June 15, 2013

Landing Your Dream Job, Part 1: Introduction

I climbed aboard my return flight from an interview with a company I had followed for years. They were a good company working on interesting things and I was pretty sure I'd receive an offer from them. I found my seat and enjoyed the green, mountainous view as we lifted off. I could definitely get used to living here, I thought. There is plenty to do by way of out-of-doors in this area!

Still, I wasn't completely satisfied. When I was downright honest with myself, I still wanted to work for that little "cowboy" company in the middle of the desert. That's where the fun is, I thought.That's where I'd be doing cool stuff! The interview here in the fairy land had gone well, but I felt a little unsure about the type of work they would be asking me to do. It sounded like a lot of paperwork and documentation - not what I had hoped for as a first step into industry after years of education. If I could have landed a job with the desert company, I know they'd have me involved with design, build, and testing. That's the fun stuff. If only I could have landed a position with them. They didn't even read my resume! I was sure of it. I had applied cold turkey with a carefully designed resume to that company three months earlier, and received a form rejection letter in the mail stating that they were not interested. Not even a phone call! Well if they don't want me, I don't want them. That was the best consolation I could give myself.


I stared out the window in frustration. Not at myself, but at the system. Why do I feel like I have to obey the job-seeking system and take status quo? Why can't find the job I want and become what want to become?


Then, a crazy idea.


I decided to write a letter directly to the CEO of that little cowboy company. I'd never met him and he wouldn't know me from Adam, but what did I have to lose?What could he say? No? His staff already had. But at least I would have made it clear that I was serious about working there. I was serious about being an "A" player. I began to draft a letter on some scratch paper, "Dear Mr. _________, ..."


Although I never sent that letter, today I work for that little cowboy company in the desert -- and I'm working on one of the coolest projects I've ever heard of. I learned a lot through the application and interview process, and I'd like to share some tips I picked up along the way. Although my experiences are with the engineering field, these principles can be applied to any occupation. Most importantly, my journey taught me that landing your dream job is possible if you're willing to take some risks and pay the price.

No comments:

Post a Comment